As the weather grows warmer and the days get longer, I find myself craving light, healthy summer breakfasts such as fresh fruit, granola, and smoothies. This recipe combines all of the above into one easy recipe. Plus it has a patriotic twist, just in time for Memorial Day weekend.
I find the smoothie bowl–a simple twist on a traditional blended smoothie–to be much more satisfying than the kind of smoothie you sip through a straw; topping the bowl with fruit, nuts, seeds, granola, and coconut keeps me full much longer. And it’s prettier to look at, too!
I created the “star” on top using granola (a prepared version from Kind Healthy Granola, but you could also make your own!) and a spoonful of almond butter. Star fruit would also make a pretty patriotic topping, if it is readily available at your local market.
The instructions below detail the method and ingredients I used to make this patriotic berry-cherry smoothie bowl. However, this recipe also serves as a good smoothie bowl base. From here, you can adapt the recipe to fit your taste. Feel free to be creative, adding and substituting ingredients as you wish.
Some possible variations on this patriotic smoothie bowl include:
Smoothie Bowl Suggestions
- Add kale or spinach to your smoothie mixture to up the nutritional value
- For extra protein, top smoothie bowl with almonds, or add almond butter, powdered nut butter, or a scoop of protein powder to your blender mixture
- Add extra berries such as blackberries and raspberries
- Add chopped dark chocolate or raw cacao nibs to your toppings for a chocolate-berry twist
- Make your star using cereal or (dry) old-fashioned oats. Or, substitute sliced star fruit if available in your grocery store
Craving something sweeter for breakfast? Check out my recipe for double chocolate peanut butter muffins instead!
Some recipes may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting this blog!